The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Can't find an application that I need that I know is onboard

"openclipart" doesn't show in the RUN menu, the applications menu or any of the shorter stacked applications selections. Software Manager says it's onboard and I remember downloading it. Even the home folder makes no mention of it.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Can't find an application that I need that I know is onb

There are a number of ways
Code:
whereis openclipart
if it is an executable.
Code:
sudo updatedb
to update the database of files on the machine.
Code:
locate openclipart
to find all references.
Code:
locate openclipart | grep desktop
to find the(a) menu entry if it's there and too many 'openclipart' are displayed.
Code:
cat /usr/share/applications/openclipart.desktop
if that's the real name of the file. See what name it's listed under in the menu. It might be in a subcategory that has no entry and therefore invisible. sudo medit whatever file to fix it. Use other files to give you an idea.

It depends if you have the name right. You may have to broaden the search until you get a return that allows you to be more specific to to solve the problem.

Thx Moe. Got it on the first try. It was in usr/share. I made it a bookmark. If I wanted to add it to an app menu how would I do that?

Moe taught me this one before; Check if the NoDisplay is set to false in the file; if NoDisplay=true, set to NoDisplay=false. Then save the file, this works for me.

Ken

Curiosity killed the cat. I used the package manager to install openclipart.

I installed all 51 packages in the 260MB bundle . I found the openclipart.desktop file, but it was in another directory. I have no idea what app-install means.

I did find this ---> https://openclipart.org/for/libreoffice It says something about "Openclipart Integration Extension"

It appears this is not 'an additional application', but additional functionality for an application, or accessed another way, as in a bunch of directories with clip art, like /usr/share/openclipart/....

Well that makes sense as I prefer Libre Writer to Abi. Tried to just install part of Libre O and had to uninstall some stowaways that made it aboard. I do think I clicked for clipart, not sure where.

Yikes! 260 MB! I'm just looking it over from the bookmark now. Finding some interesting things that might do well with Mind Map. I am so visually oriented that having my vast array of to-do lists displayed in map form is very helpful. I'm a long way from proficient on MM but am functional at least.

Maybe I will just keep the things I want now, remember where some other nifty things I might want are and throw the big lot back to software manager.

Thanks for your reconnoiter.

Actually Moe, I think you found and explored the full enchilada. I just downloaded the 10MB version for Libre Office according to Software Center.

Whew!

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024