The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Kiwix wikipedia with index

How do you utilize the kiwix reader with the pre-indexed wikipedia files? I've downloaded and extracted that from the kiwix site, and the index dir and files appear to be present, but the kiwix reader is convinced that the library is not indexed.

That pre-indexed zip came with a linux installation. I'm wondering if I need to re-install kiwix to get it to work. If that is the case how would I install that downloaded kiwix installation in Navigatrix?

Jim

Post subject: Re: Kiwix wikipedia with index

There is apparently a bug in kiwix:

Sept 14, 2014
"about the "missing index" error, I believe this is a bug, and I can advise you to download the last dev version of the Kiwix software http://download.kiwix.org/bin/0.9/. Just replace the Kiwix software directory (beside the "data" directory, and it should work."
http://sourceforge.net/p/kiwix/discussi ... #2cb7/73a2

So what would be the process to apply this fix on Nx.0.5?

Jim

Which pre-indexed wikipedia file are you referring? There are the smaller ones (3.74GB, or less) to the the huge-r (39.96GB) files.

Are you using a LiveCD, or hard drive installation?

Does Kiwix want to index the file?

What happens if you let Kiwix index it?

Site Admin

If you want the preindexed wikipedia files its difficult but not impossible to have them on the usb stick. They need to get splitted to overcome the filesize limit of the usb stick. I prepered some preindexed, compressed and splitted wikipedia files that work just fine from the usb stick (german,spanish,french and english). But did not find a way to make them available on the website since they are so big. If anyone has a suggestion let me know.

Moe wrote:
Which pre-indexed wikipedia file are you referring? There are the smaller ones (3.74GB, or less) to the the huge-r (39.96GB) files.

It is the huge ~45GB, complete english version. It unpacked from the zip with the zim files already broken into 2GB pieces. And it functions just fine, except for the indexing.
From this kiwix page:
http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Wikipedia
this download:
http://download.kiwix.org/portable/wiki ... ip.torrent

Quote:
Are you using a LiveCD, or hard drive installation?

Hard drive.

Quote:
Does Kiwix want to index the file?

Yes. I was trying to figure out why it seemed to not know that it was already indexed when I ran across that kiwix forum thread saying that there is a bug related to indexing.

Quote:
What happens if you let Kiwix index it?

I'm about 75% through, and on day nine of indexing it on another laptop. I'll have that answer in a few more days.

plateaugame wrote:
It is the huge ~45GB, complete english version.
You animal!

I though about downloading it, but figured it would give me a digital hernia.

When it's done, I'm curious on your thoughts.

The 3.74GB version is handy but heavy on pop culture.

Moe wrote:
When it's done, I'm curious on your thoughts.

The indexing finally finished on the other laptop and on that machine all is working great. I copied the zim file to a SD card and took it to the new laptop. ..no index.. I'm guessing that the index is not part of the zim, but is in some other "index" file, somewhere in the vicinity of the kiwix installation.
True?
If so, where is kiwix installed, and what does the index look like?

To change the topic a bit... how would I implement the latest kiwix version mentioned here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... load#Kiwix

At that location there are several files. I downloaded and extracted kiwix-0.9-linux-i686.tar.bz2. Then I launched the kiwix executable and it works perfectly on my toughbook with the latest zim file.

So, to restate the question, how would I replace the existing, installed version of kiwix with this newer version?

(BTW, I don't really care that much anymore about copying the indexing magic from one machine to another, because the latest version seems to do a much better job of searching.)

It is really a strange feeling to hold a little SD card that has the entire English wikipedia on it, with plenty of room to spare.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024