The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: What GPS To Get?

Hello Friends,

Before posting this question, I read multiple related pages to see if I can get any answer. I still may have missed the answer during my short search within the forum, if so, please forgive me.

Here is my story: I purchased a GPS USB "dongle" from a fellow Canadian store (On the internet) a few years ago with a hope to use it on my navigation program and charts. I used Open CPN as the program, and CM93 as the chart set. I tried all possible options to be able to get the satellite (GPS) signals with no success. The USB GPS receiver model is GT-730F.

Now, I am about to reinstall the Navigatrix (This time 0.5) and try the GPS reception.

Here are my questions:

1 - What USB GPS receiver must I use with my CM93 charts?
2 - What chart system is suitable with which GPS receiver?

Any info and help will be very much gratefully appreciated, please.

Very best regards, and thank you in advance . . .

Capt. Serdal

Post subject: Re: What GPS To Get?

Good Afternoon Cap'

As far as a "plug n play" gps receiver, I use this little jewel.
USGlobalSat-BU353-S4-USB-GPS-Receive
Fire up Nx, plug it in to a usb port, and away you go. No need for drivers on the included CD. You can check it is functioning by opening "GPS Panel" (found under Main Menu > Navigation > GPS Panel) or GPS Satellites (Same location) It will take 60 sec or so to acquire an initial fix.

OpenCPN should not care what charts you are using as far as the GPS goes. If you have charts installed that are viewable, your current location should show up once any functional GPS is installed.

Do to the magic of gpsd, you should not have to mess with virtual com ports, serial ports, or much of anything else. (Thank you Nx)

Post subject: Re: What GPS To Get?

Try this link in sorting out the one you have (i.e. bluetooth)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=640
I have a toughbook panasonic with built in gps and used the above thread to re-configure gpsd and yes, it works. However, many people have a usb gps like the one posted above. i have one also and it works great if you re-configure gpsd...

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024