The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Nx / Garmin 126 / GPX files...

Ok, the primary GPS (Garmin GPS126) in the cockpit is elderly and a bit worse for wear, but the only complaint is punching in an endless list of waypoints and manually combining for routes...

On the last boat, had another vintage Garmin receiver which included a bit of software to connect to a windows pc and upload/download info via the GRMN/GRMN interface. Alas, something so simple seems to be no longer out there...

Been trying to set this up in Nx for several months off an on, with no luck. Of course, I had to do a bit of repair on the GPS itself (busted plug in the back) and could of botched up the repairs. Only 3 data wires, but it's possible.

Here is the setup and conditions...

GPS 126 Connected to laptop via Belkin FTDI usb/serial cable. Data lines connected to db9 input Pin 5 - Ground, Pin 3 - GPS data in, Pin 2 - GPS data out.

GPS set to NMEA/NMEA NMEA 0183 v2.0 4800 Baud

OpenCpn GPS Panel etc reads data fine, and NMEA debug window shows stream of NMEA sentences

Any attempt to upload waypoints or routes to GPS results in open CPN sending a data stream and reporting upload complete, but nothing showing in GPS...

Attempts to connect to GPS when GPS is in GRMN/GRMN HOST mode fail. No data stream showing. Have tried checking and unchecking the "Use garmin protocol" boxes in opencpn with no resuts either direction

Not married to using opencpn to transfer files, as it is simple to export as gpx file and load another way. Question is what other way? Have tried using EasyGPS via wine, with no joy and poking about for other options. Any suggestions appreciated.

There was a long thread on opencpn forum about routes/waypoints and the 126, here but it ended up being a windows related issue.

Post subject: Re: Nx / Garmin 126 / GPX files...

You might want to look at the -b flag of the gpsd configuration.

It's set to keep some of the hocky puck unit from locking into a speed that Windows can't handle, if anyone wants/needs to switch back and forth....with a gps that may or may not negotiate to a higher speed...and stay.

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gpsd
Somewhere down the config panels you remove the -b flag.

That may or may not get you going toward a selected waypoint.

Tks Moe... I will look into it.

Managed to get opencpn running with the gps set to GRMN/GRMN Host mode by killing gpsd and removing its socket file. Of course none of the other apps that want gpsd work but ok for now.

In GRMN/GRMN mode, the GPS will output the short (140 packet) track that is stored on it, but lord knows where it is going... Not showing up in opencpn anywhere I can find.

Trying to upload in G/G mode crashes opencpn (?) with a final log entry of :
Quote:
14:24:56 EST: Garmin GPS could not be initialized on port: /dev/ttyUSB0 Error Code is -4
LastGarminError is: SERIAL: tcsetattr error

Will check the gpsd config, and guess it might be time to check with the opencpn folks as well.

tks again

Since you killed gpsd to eliminate that variable, and haven't had any luck, have you tried any of the other applications, gpstrans comes to mind since it's already there. (Mind you, I don't know how these things work, or if it's even fit for purpose.)

If another application could talk to the gps, this would show a problem with OpenCPN. If it can't then the problem might be deeper. There still could be a problem with OpenCPN, but you can chase your tail in other circles.

Removing -b flag from gpsd setup worked... sort of.
OpenCpn will now receive sentences (garmin style) via gpsd, but transmit attempts still fail with error msg in log.
Quote:
14:24:56 EST: Garmin GPS could not be initialized on port: /dev/ttyUSB0 Error Code is -4
LastGarminError is: SERIAL: tcsetattr error
Looking up the errno in libc gives me the following quote...
Quote:
4- EACCES -- Permission denied. Attempt to write to a read-only file, or remove a non-empty directory, or open a directory as if it were a file, etc. In essence, it's a DOS way of saying "You can't do that, but I'm too stupid to know why."

Will investigate gpstrans... didn't even know it was there. Would have no problem uploading waypoints and downloading tracks with other than opencpn. Would actually prefer it. Also looking at gpsbabel which is supposed to be able to up/down load as well as convert. It has so many options, if I knew what I was doing I think I could order it to make my breakfast. (Make me a sandwich... No! Sudo Make me a sandwich... OK)

Time to go chase my tail in another direction.

Solved...

Found app in the repositories about the same vintage as the GPS
gpsman(ager)

Installed, killed gpsd, removed gpsd.sock. Uploaded waypoints, downloaded tracks. Reboot to restart gpsd and write sock file. Run OpenCpn on usb hockey puck as required.

Bit of a kluge, but saved a lot of time (and keypad errors).

Plenty more tails to chase

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024