The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Flash Plugin

I keep getting these notification that my flash player is out of date and vulnerable. I have clicked the update button and even downloaded the latest version and thought I installed it but I still get these really annoying notifications and it constantly blocks videos from playing.
So what is the trick to installing the update? It must not be like installing in Windows or Mac OSX

Post subject: Re: Flash Plugin

I'm not sure it's a trick or dumb-luck. Flash plugins are just one of those things I throw software at it until the problem goes away. But I just
Code:
sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
As I recall, it removed one package, possibly added others. But I'm not sure how it's done now-a-days, 'cause it didn't load a loader to download from adobe like it use to. But, now, it just works without an irritating nag. Mission accomplished.

You could also use the package manager (synaptic) and tick the adobe-flashpluging box and do it that way.

Newbie Alert!!! :oops:
Ok, so you type that at the command prompt or in the run dialog? I'm totally new to the linux type system.

Yes, at the command prompt or in the run dialogue....

Because you can do either.

The fun way, however, it to open a terminal Menu> Accessories> Terminal Emulator or typing <ctrl><alt><t> at the same time.

When the terminal opens you would enter that command.

But a first time user on a new system needs to update the list of available packages...first
Code:
sudo apt-get update
or, yet a third way, Menu> Preferences> Package Manager and do it all there. It's just called "Reload" rather than update. But with reload/update you only need to do it once, and then whenever you feel guilty.

After the "reload" close and restart the application to have the handy "Quick Find" (to find adobe-flashplugin) that doesn't exist on the first run. Go crazy.

QL, got 'er done. Thanks ;)

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024