The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: softfm in rtl_fm

My friend installed navigatrix, but I am so confused because somehow the program "softfm" is executed from the rtlsdr plugin instead of rtl_fm.

I wrote the rtlsdr plugin so I am really confused. How can this be? Did someone change the plugin to a special version in navigatrix? If so, this is just great but I wish they let me know about it.

Post subject: Re: softfm in rtl_fm

I have not even looked at the plugin until now. What does it do that it shouldn't and what should it do that it's not?

I see a two windows pop open and closed as it launches, but they are too fast, and/or text-less. The third window, identified as "rtlsdr " stays open, and makes me feel stupid. Just as well, because beyond that I'm as dumb as a stump.

Site Admin

Sorry for being late on this topic. But you are right, i changed the fm decoder from rtl_fm to softfm. There was some issue with rtl_fm, i dont recall exactly what it was, but it did not work and softfm also seems to have better audio quality. Sorry for not informing you about this modification. And thanks again for the great work on this plugin. I also took the liberty to put a link to your website on the navigatrix details page.

Do you have any more information about why softfm was better?

We are developing now rtl_ais, and it has rtl_fm and aisdecoder in a single binary with various enhancements, but I am wondering about softfm again.

Site Admin

The sound quality when decoding fm radio stations with softfm is better then with rtlfm especially if there is good reception. I noticed that while listening to local radio stations using the dongle. However, i did not yet compare the latest versions sound quality of both decoders.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024