The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Edgeport drivers

I cannot find a way to make my Edgeport/4 serial to USB converter work in Navigatrix/Ubuntu run from the thumb drive.
It does work under Windows but seams to be invisible under Navigatrix OR Ubuntu (I tried both). I did try to unplug/plug it in, had a GPS feed data to it, I tried the "additional drivers" route but the system doesn't see the adapter. I am fairly competent on the Windows side but pretty much lost in the Ubuntu environment. Digi Co. (Edgeport's manufacturer) insists that the drivers are included in the kernel. This is "make or brake" issue for me as the Edgeport enables me to have just one usb cable controlling all the serial ports (2xSSB, Chartplotter, Raymarine) and has worked flawlessly over the years.
I'll appreciate any suggestions.
Jan, S/V Millennial Destiny

Post subject: Re: Edgeport drivers

When the system is running, open a terminal (<ctrl><alt><t>, all three keys at the same time) take a deep breath and plug in your serial/usb converter.

Serial converters should work out of the box. This is the first step to see what the system sees.

Into the terminal window, enter
Code:
dmesg | tail -n 20
This gives the last 20 entries of the log file.

Cut'n'Paste that exciting output on a reply post, so we can see what is going on.

And then elaborate a bit, what is it not doing, aside from being invisible? That is, how do you know it's invisible? What is it that you want it to do, but it is not doing? Have you modified anything in trying to get it to do what you think it should do?...etc..

Post subject: Re: Edgeport drivers

Thank you!
It was just my ignorance at work.
I didn´t realize that ubuntu doesn´t care much about feedback and assumed nothing was happening when I plugged in my Edgeport. The log file proved me wrong.
All is good and I learned something new.
Thanks again.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024