The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Radar plugin OpenCPN troubles

Many thanks for help MOE. OpenCPN 4.0 running fine here now.

Next task is installing radar plugin for Navico radar on OpenCPN.

The appropriate Linux packet is found here:
http://opencpn-navico-radar-plugin.github.io/

I am a total newbie to Linux... no idea which version to use
or how to download and install it.. can you help me please ?

Geir @ Lista, Norway

Post subject: Radar plugin OpenCPN troubles

la5zo wrote:
Next task is installing radar plugin for Navico radar on OpenCPN.

The appropriate Linux packet is found here:
http://opencpn-navico-radar-plugin.github.io/

I am a total newbie to Linux... no idea which version to use
or how to download and install it.. can you help me please ?
You would be looking for a .deb file in the x86 family.

Navigatrix uses the debian package system apt, and run a 32 bit kernel (x86, also referenced as i386, i486, or i686)

The file you want is

http://opencpn-navico-radar-plugin.github.io/br24radar_pi_1.1-1_i386.deb

Download it. It is installed
Code:
sudo gdebi Downloads/br24radar_pi_1.1-1_i386.deb
and follow the prompts.

Post subject: Re: update opencpn

la5zo wrote:
Many thanks Moe, radar plugin installed.

Geir

Moe. I finally have a 3G radar installed onboard. I get a Perfect radar Picture on my W8 LapTop using OCPN 4.0 and ver 1.1 of the radar plugin.

When I connect GPS/HDG and IP cable to the Navigatrix PC all is fine but the PC can`t find the radar. Is there an IP port issue blocking UDP packets ? Firewall is off...
and the Ethernet port is set to a manual IP4 adress.

Any idea to what could be wrong ?

Geir
S/Y Ocean Viking, Norway

I don't understand some of the alphabet soup...well all of it, except GPS.

What are 3G, HDG and IP, and how are they related to the radar?

How are you connecting the radar?

Sorry for being cryptic. Its a Navico BR24 3G version radar and it connects straight to the eth0 port of the Navigatrix. Works fine on Windows 8 LapTop, but not on the Navigatrix.

The radar plugin on Open CPN need the boat position (GPS) and heading (HDG) pluss data ftom the radar (IP) in order to work.

I have tested a bit more and it looks like the UDP broadcast the radar uses for sending data, can't be handled fast enough on my Navigatrix PC. Could be related to the eth0 setup or maybe to the pc hardware...

Geir

I'm not well versed on the hardware I have, and less so with hardware I don't have, but let's first tackle the ethernet connection from the radar.

Take a screen shot an show the radar plugin and the Connection dialogue from OpenCPN.

What does the radar show for the dotted quad (192.168.0.9) and port (80). Mind you, both sets of numbers are made up. I have no idea what it would be, or should be.
Attachment:
Selection_017.png
Selection_017.png [ 65.06 KiB | Viewed 17843 times ]
What do you have?

I'm away from home working. But as I wrote earlier it works when running Windows 8.1 on my LapTop.

I use the same port settings on the Navigatrix as on the LapTop - I move the ethernet cable that sends radar echo as UDP and the serial cable that send GPS/heading signals, from the LapTop to the Navigatrix. All looks good - but no radar echo is displayed.

There is an Emulator function in the radar plug-in. I used it to see how the LapTop performed in comparison to the Navigatix.
The test picture it outputs was clear and stabile on the LapTop but very broken up and unstable on the Navigatrix.

Looks like I'll have to buy a new/faster Nav. PC in order to use the radar plugin.

Geir

ZeroCof should be giving you something. Something is/should be acting as a UDP server. I'm just trying to figure out what that is.

I tried that too...altered values on ZeroCof from 0 and up... but no improvement.
Puzzeled... Linux if not my thing.... don't know where the emulator inputs to the plugin...
but it looks like the same thing that messes up the emulator test display prevents the radar picture to be displayed.
some sort of sync going bad....is my thoughts...

Geir

Zero-configuration networking (zeroconf) is a set of technologies that automatically creates a usable computer network based on the Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) when computers or network peripherals are interconnected. It does not require manual operator intervention or special configuration servers.

It does not require manual intervention...it should not.

You are the one with the hardware. You need to be the eyes as well.

There is a setting in the opencpn config file stating zerocof=0 The plugin-manual stated that if emulator screen was incorrect this setting could be changed. I have no idea why, but thanks for the explanation.

Geir

Where do you see this? I can't find a manual for the plugin.

Post subject: Re: Radar plugin OpenCPN troubles

Read here: http://opencpn.org/ocpn/navico_radar_debugging looking back I see my memory is paying up on me..
it was the VerboseLog parameter that I changed, as described in the manual... not ZeroConf as I wrote earlier-
Sorry for misleading you Moe.

But the change produced no improvement...

I see manual also talks about: The emulator will check if OpenGL driver is compatible ?
If it's not - Guess that might mess up the emulator/radar display ?

Geir

Manual wrote:
Is the system connected to the radar, either directly or via switch? Does the IP address of the network device show up in the "ZeroConf" line?

Does the IP address of the network device show up in the "ZeroConf" line?

No? What's there?

Yes? What's there?

You are the eyes. Screen shots...anything. Just saying it doesn't work, or that you changed numbers, doesn't help anybody.

I've been away working since June 14th. Will have a look on the different settings when I'm back on the boat first half of July.

Geir

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024