The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Updating Navigatrix

I would like to update my existing Navigatrix 0.5, from about two years ago, on a 128 mb. flashcard to the newest version ?? of June 2015.
Is it a new updated version ?
How do I do this ?
Unfortunately I am not a techie !

RobertD

Post subject: Re: Updating Navigatrix

June 2015 is the latest. There are no changes that warrant a number upgrade.

The no tears method is to use the new issue is to just replace it with the current image.

If you have data that you want to carry over, place it in a safe place to move it back after you have created the new stick. I have no idea what you have/want to save so I won't list any.

Possible the simplest method is to copy the file(s) you want to keep over to your hard drive; make the stick, and then move it (them) back when you are done creating the new stick.

I'm assuming the '128 mb' is a typo.

I was going to ask the same question. When I update I would not want to overwrite
AirMail configuration and inbox
OpenCPN tracks and configuration (com ports etc)

Is that just a matter of bacing up the home directory, installing the new version of Navigatrix and then restoring the home directory?

Is there configuration data stored elsewhere?

Will the files from OpenCPN and AirMail be compatible if the applications have been updated?

Thanks

Bill

If you're running from a stick and want to keep files (mail, tracks, routes, whatever) you need to put those files in a safe place before hand.

You cannot recreate/upgrade a USB installation (LiveCD) and protect those files.

LiveCD creators wipe the USB stick before it begins and your files will disappear.

You can place them in a directory on you hard drive, rebuild the update USB device, and then move the files 'back' after you boot the new updated system on the USB stick.

The easiest is to back up /home. Everything should work when you put it back.

~/Mail
~/.sylpheed
~/.mozilla
~/.opencpn
~/.wine
....and others depending what you want individually

Moe wrote:
If you're running from a stick and want to keep files (mail, tracks, routes, whatever) you need to put those files in a safe place before hand.

OK I have it installed on a solid state hard drive, so does it just give me the eoption to keep the home drive when I upgrade?

Oh, then if you have a separate partition for your /home just upgrade with a LiveCD and select "Something else"

But do not check Format for your home partition.

The installer will overwrite the root partition, and preserve everything else.

If /home is not on its own partition, use your favourite search engine for instruction like; Linux move /home to a different partition .

Read one that is relatively current and makes sense to you.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024