The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Nagigatrix Atom N450 don't start

Hello,

I just downloaded Navigatrix and installed it on an 8 GB USB stick. I tried it on my Laptop and it worked right away.
But I like to install Navigatrix on a Netbook with Atom 450 Processor. It's a HP mini 210 -1012TU.
It tried to boot, but I just see one line, but I can't read it and then the cursor is blinking in the left upper corner and nothing happens.

Does someone have an idee.

Thanks
Ron

Post subject: Re: Nagigatrix Atom N450 don't start

Ok, as I understand it, you tried it on a machine and it worked. You then went to try it on the HP mini 210 -1012TU and it went catatonic with a blank screen and a blinking cursor.

Have you tried it back on the first machine? Did it work (again)?

If not, I'm guessing when you removed the stick from the first machine, it had not finished writing back to the stick and became 'scrambled' for lack of a better term. The easier solution is to remake the USB stick and try again, allowing the machine to fully shutdown before removing the stick.

If it does work in the first machine, and I'm completely wrong in my guessing, we can take a deeper look for a reason.

Hi,

I'm right now writing from the Laptop, where I tried it first. Here it's all working like it should, but not on the HP mini.

The USB Stick is fine. That's not the problem, sorry.

Thanks
Ron

dang...I need to put on a thinking cap.

Since the HP mini 210 -1012TU is a fairly new machine, does it have a "Legacy Boot" option for USB devices in the BIOS/UEFI?

If so, try the legacy mode.

No, I couldn't find anything like that.

Do you get the blue splash screen with the ray in the lower right corner at all before it just ponders with the blinking cursor?

I tried it a couple of times again, but it's very quick.

I see a line with: syslinux .... (I think)

and then it's more a yellow or green splash screen. But it's so fast gone, that I can't tell, if there is a ray or not. Is there anyway to delay it?

The manual for your machine lists a fw option in the boot priority area of the BIOS.

My preference would be for the LiveCD to be read as a CD (#1), others work as a hard drive (#2).

It may be one of the other possibilities, but I'd try #1, then #2, to see how that goes, then if no luck and your up for it, eliminate the other 3 options with a couple shots of rum.
Attachment:
LiveCD.png
LiveCD.png [ 42.37 KiB | Viewed 17784 times ]

The bios detects the USB-Stick as a USB-Floppy. Maybe that's the reason. I tried to disable USB-Floppy and also USB-CD-Rom, but the the Bios doesn't detect the stick anymore. See picture.

Attachments:
HP-MINI_Navigatrix.jpg
HP-MINI_Navigatrix.jpg [ 17.96 KiB | Viewed 17782 times ]

I found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 49170.html

This is the problem. It's looking for a different geometry...at least that's what people who do this something similar.

While the machine recognizes the USB as a floppy, the USB "looks" like a CD. Can you switch to a Hard Drive like in the manual,...or if you set it as a CD, and reboot, does it, what?

Your screenshot also looks like the machine/BIOS is older than the manual that I found online.

While you might find Plop will shoehorn it in place. I know nothing of Plop.

This was the manual. http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02241565.pdf

Right now, I don't see a way out. Maybe someone else does. Sorry.

....and then when other options fail, using a different slot to plug the USB into can change the outcome, e.g., it may work in one slot, but not the other two.

...it has to do with the ports physically being connected to a different part of the system, and not because machines hate us.

I tried all different USB Ports. All the same.

The Bios detect the USB-Stick by itself. I can't select how I should boot from the USB-Stick. I can only disable the Floppy Boot, but then it doesn't detect the USB-Stick at all.

I'll try Plop. It's in German. That's even easier for me :-)

Thanks

It worked :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I downloaded the Bootmanager from Plop and unziped it to the USB Stick. Then I started Windows 7 and opened the folder Windows in the Plop archive. There is a file called InstalltoBootMenue.bat. Double Click on it and the Boot Loader gets installed in the Windows Boot Menue.
Then restart the Netbook. You'll see the Windows Boot Menue and you'll find an entry Plop Boot Manager. Just hit this. Then you see an other menue. Hit USB and Navigatrix starts right away.

Thanks Moe for all your help. May be you'll want to explain it better.

Hazzah! Well done.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024