The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: motd

I am working on a few shell scripts (cron grib handlers) and wish to suppress the dynamic motd. I have looked in all the usual places for Debian and Ubunto distros to no avail. I like the parrot but need a clean stdout in some instances. Can anybody help?
Thanks! /)*

Post subject: Re: motd

Not sure of the elegant way to do this, but the baxh call "clear" will kill the parrot and leave you a clean terminal screen. Hope this helps, not graceful but effective.

Easy peasey, kill the cow. Originally the parrot was a cow, yes moo. Unhappy will just cows people have a whole assortment of ascii characters on their terminals.

Easiest way. In a terminal
Code:
nano .bashrc
at the bottom of the file it looks like
Code:
# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if ! shopt -oq posix; then
  if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
    . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
  elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
    . /etc/bash_completion
  fi
fi

/usr/games/fortune |/usr/games/cowsay -f parrot
scroll down and comment out the last line with an octothorpe (#) like
Quote:
# /usr/games/fortune |/usr/games/cowsay -f parrot
Save and close the file (<ctrl><x>, Y, and <enter>) and you're on your way.

Or, if you want to remove all trace of the parrot, delete the line, save the file and purge the cow and everything it says with
Code:
sudo apt-get purge cowsay fortunes fortunes-mod fortunes-min
...and see how that suits you.

What are the scripts?

Thanks Moe, that's exactly what I was looking for. Silly me for not realizing lxrterm is really bash... :oops: :oops: I fell down the rabbit hole by fixating on the old unix motd...

Perl scripts for grib management, auto extract and download. etc. Also, shell scripts for routine ease of administration...

Other development in virtual engine instrumentation via CAN bus. My engines are mechanically injected MANs, so I am using Noland A/D converters to feed a CAN bus backbone. My goal is a screen (X/Linux) with digital readouts and live "time series" charts to display things like EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp), turbo boost, fuel (Floscan) as well as the classics, oil pressure, fresh water temp etc. Alarm management and mysql logging of said data are on the road map. I find value in seeing instrument readings over time as opposed to a snapshot in time. I am also toying with web cam monitoring of belts and hoses, similar to a home security alarm algorithm, where images are compared over time for changes. If my port side throws a belt, the image recorded on the port side web cam changes and software can react by popping an image on the screen, kicking off general alarm, lighting a LED on a panel etc. etc. Or maybe a Hall Effect sensor on an tension pulley for belts... Still working on that, call it phase II. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, thanks again - Cheers.
Rhumbfish /)*

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024