The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: How to upgrade QtVlm

Hi!
I just installed Navigatrix (beautiful!) but when I try to open the Router (QtVlm) it tells me there's a new version.

How do I instal the new one?

thank you
giuseppe

Post subject: Re: How to upgrade QtVlm

Download the archive.

Open a terminal and
Code:
cd ~/Downloads && tar -zxvf qtVlm-5.3.1_32.tar.gz
This unpack the archive.
Code:
sudo cp -r qtVlm /opt/
Copies it to the proper location.

That's it....oh, except for the maps are outdated and need to be replaced. That is about a 100MB.

You can delete
Code:
rm -rf ~/Downloads/qtVlm*
to remove everything in the Downloads directory related to qtVlm.

If you are on a USB stick, you still have the same <space> capacity restraints.

This is a very nice piece of software, functioning, what it provides, and how it looks. They have done an excellent job. You can even do virtual racing on a phone.

Thank you a lot Moe!

sudo cp -r qtVlm /opt/[/code]Copies it to the proper location.

Can't find this qtVlm location, please help (navigatix 0.5)

Quote:
Can't find this qtVlm location
It's unclear if you mean the origin, or the destination (copy, cp, has an origin and destination) and that is probably moot.

But, I'll make a stab in the dark and guess you have made a typo.

If it is a typo, my guess is the origin, as I have no idea where, or if, you unpacked the downloaded archive.

This command
Code:
cd ~/Downloads && tar -zxvf qtVlm-5.3.1_32.tar.gz
changes your terminal's directory to /home/<your_user_id>/Downloads directory where you have already downloaded the qtVlm-5.3.1_32.tar.gz archive.

&& AND after successfully switching to that Downloads directory unpacks (tar -zxvf) the archive.

Because of the way the archive was constructed, everything is unpacked into its own directory, qtVlm. Use your File Manager to visually verify (Look in Downloads, in your home). If it's not there...probably a typo.

Executing the second command sudo cp -r qtVlm /opt/ means, acting as a 'super user' (root), recursively copy the directory qtVlm (which was just created), and its contents, to the new location /opt/. The trailing "/" means it will end up as /opt/qtVlm thereby overwriting the old qtVlm files.

If you have done the above instructions and get an error...you have a typo.

Without seeing verbatim what you have entered AND the machine's response, it could be (exaggerating) almost anything and we could spend a lot of time guessing (not exaggerating) when it is probably just a typographically error.

@ Moe
It was just my "monkey english" - inability to express precisely, what i mean.
I was looking in filesystems "Sailboat Router" locations, (such name of software, we can see under menu).

Now everything is perfectly clear. Thank You very much for your patience and detailed answer.

Not a problem.

A decision was made in the beginning to use common descriptions as names for applications.

This seemed to to be a more natural way to refer to the applications that allowed new users to find and understand what the application was rather than learn a new name first.

The package manager was called the Package Manager instead of Synaptic; or the Email Client instead of Sylpheed, etc..

The added benefit was that if Package Manager itself were changed to Wajig, or PackageKit, or whatever, the change would not be as jarring, or disruptive.

...but like most schemes, it cuts both ways. For many (myself included), QtVlm is better known than Sailboat Router, Google Earth than Planet Viewer and we have to think about what it's called.

... Gps Satelite instead of xgps, and so on.

Once more thank You Moe patient expalnation. A whole lot better posed questions - i hope - will be coming ;). Great distro!

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024