The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Is navigatrix 32b or 64bit?

One reason I like navigatrix is that it seems almost machinec agnostic. I can insert my Nav usb into 32b or 64b m/c or so it seems to work so far with my laptops. However if one was to install other linux system like the official ubuntu it requires different downloads for different mc (32b & 64b,) but Nav is based on ubuntu and only has one download, so will Nav works on any 32b or 64b mc always???
Thanks,
Ken
NZ

Post subject: Re: Is navigatrix 32b or 64bit?

Sorry for the delay, Ken. Navigatrix runs a 32 bit kernel.

Again, it looks like it's a matter of time, money, or monkeys.

But I also think someone has figured what libraries are dependency analogues or adaptors for either/and. There might even be a script already written that says "These files X, Y, Z are required - install them"

There is a method that says, "Take this currently running kernel configuration and write it to a kernel-compilation configuration file. You then flip the 64 bit switches in that file. Compile a 64 bit kernel.

If it seems to work or make sense, someone has already figured out how to unpack a squashfilesystem, modify it with a command chain for <insert the new kernel and support files here>, and then repack it (without breaking it) into that 64bitsquashedfilesystem.... Bob's your uncle, and you're the bright spark that put it together.

Someone has done this before, you just need to fine the solutions that worked, and string them together.

I have to look up my name every morning, and so I am busy embarrassing myself in other areas.

Post subject: Re: Is navigatrix 32b or 64bit?

Greetings Moe,
Thanks for that, I guess there is no point to invest time, money or monkeys if it works good. What I want to know is what are the disadvantages of running a 32bit system in a 64bit m/c? if there is none then is a no brainer; and will all 64 bit mc always(apart from the usual boot order UFEI issues) run 32bit os with no problems?
Thanks,
Ken

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024