The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: How do i find which processes are using the internet?

Hello, fellow nx-ers!
I havent been using my computer for a couple months now, and when i started it up, and connected to the internet via 3g, i see that some process is downloading something in the background, hogging my bandwidth. Even with no software running (no firefox, no zygrib etc.) I have downloaded a little app, called network tools, and i can see clearly that it dowloaded 13MB of data....
I tried ctrl-alt-del, to see the processes, but only xorg uses any cpu...
Is there any way of listing the processes currently using my network connection, and to see what are they downloading? Could it be an automatic update? Whre can i turn it off?Please help, if you can.
Adrian

Post subject: Re: How do i find which processes are using the internet?

Hello, nx-ers!

I am still triing to resolve this problem.... Some background process is using my internet connection to download something, and i have no clue how to stop it... it has already downloaded dozens of MB of data, and it still doesn`t stop, rendering browsing impossible, and driving me nuts....
I am thinking of formatting my drive, and reinstalling NX, but there must be an easier solution..
Any ideas?
Adrian

I thought about it, but came up with nothing.

Not that there is no answer, but that I have no idea, what it is, or how you would look to see what most likely is a silent upgrade, unless it is the new package management system that is being introduced to replace synaptic (Package Manager), retrieving new repository information. I don't know.

If that isn't it, I think it is along those lines. Some upgraded software thinks it needs another to upgrade, without 'disturbing you'. While not as bad as not working at all it's can be irritating.

But, don't get me started about many applications 'phone home' just to see if you have the current setup.

OK, i will try to keep it connected to a good internetconnection overnight, to let him gather all he wants... and then we will see what happens.
by the way do you know of a way to disable automatic updates generally in nx?Or do i have to look for the settings for each software individually, regarding AU?

This is my wild quess
Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-06-01_10-06-48.png
Screenshot_2016-06-01_10-06-48.png [ 128.17 KiB | Viewed 12364 times ]
Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-06-01_10-05-58.png
Screenshot_2016-06-01_10-05-58.png [ 117.82 KiB | Viewed 12364 times ]
Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-06-01_10-06-31.png
Screenshot_2016-06-01_10-06-31.png [ 163.26 KiB | Viewed 12364 times ]

The way to find out is from the terminl
Code:
sudo iftop -nNP
for a port listening application. <t> toggles through incoming/outgoing/both.

<shift><p> pauses the bouncing refresh.

Find the offending IP:port and tack it on to the end of
Code:
sudo netstat -tnp | grep 192.168.0.4:34931
like the 192.168.0.4:34931 is done.

That will return the name of the process using that IP and port.

There is a 'simpler' method but that requires additional software (nethogs, sudo apt-get install nethogs)

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024