The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Re-installing NX, how to ?

If i want to re-install NX, what do I have to do?
- Save personal stuff, where is it, documents, photos, maybe some drivers (Canon printer is impossible to install without Internet informations...) ?

I ask about because Firefox crashes very often when opening a link from an e-mail for example, maybe a bad version of Firefox, and for future problems or needs when reinstalling NX.
About Nx, is it right that's a Lubuntu version?

Post subject: Re: Re-installing NX, how to ?

If it's just Firefox, before you go through the aggravation try a little test to see if the problem is in your Firefox configuration.

Rename your Firefox settings/cache directory, either via the terminal
Code:
mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.old
or through the File Manager. It doesn't matter what it's called, just not .mozilla

Upon relaunch, Firefox will recreate a new directory. It will not contain any of your bookmarks, addons, or history, but it is reversible, and you can test out Firefox to see if it is a configuration/addon causing a problem.

If it works to your satisfaction bookmarks can be migrated over to the new directory, either with Firefox's own tools, or copying the right files from the old, to the new. Addons, like Scrapbook, can be copied over as well, but it could be less drama to re-install them with internet access to ensure all the pieces are set in place, and then move the stored data, or saved pages, if needed.

After you have squeezed out all the good in the old directory, it can be deleted.

If starting fresh doesn't fix the Firefox crashing problem, you can always wait a week for a new version of Firefox, or revert to an older version.

...because ferreting out the Canon printer drivers could be a nightmare.

Thanks Moe,
Firefox continue to crash even with your indication, not Chromium ...
i'll wait for a new version.
But in case of re-installation, which directories I must keep and save ?

Quote:
But in case of re-installation, which directories I must keep and save ?
It's why I called it a nightmare.

Because I abuse my system with everyday testing I tend to re-install my system about once a month. This happens either because it is littered with carcasses of failed experiments, or I have put it so far out of whack it no longer works well enough for personal use.

If it's really bad, I'll just secure
  • ~/.sylpheed <--email account settings
  • ~/Mail <--the mail
  • ~/.mozilla <--all the bookmarks/customisation.
  • ~/bin <-- binaries or scripts I was tired of loosing because I forget them in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin
  • ~/.bashrc <-- again, more customisation
  • ~/.bash_aliases
  • /etc/apt/sources.list <--customised repository listing with key retrieval commands
  • personal, or collected data, pictures, audio, etc.
Then, with a good net connection, issue sudo apt-get install dia inkscape geogebra.... etc... to bring back non-out-of-the-box applications.

Much more than that and I'd go mad trying to pull out 20 files, or symbolic links, scattered through the filesystem.

It's a not very good answer to say what someone should keep depends on what a person wants to keep, but that's what it boils down to.

Thanks a lot, Moe, for this information, maybe useful for other peoples.
For me, I know what I have to save now, but I do not test or modify my computer like you do and it is a very good answer, it seems because this system, form me, is unknow and maybe a do some bad things, wrong or not compatible installation.

I don't have a lot of stuff installed for the moment, is is better, and all I have to backup came from Windows and are essentially mail contacts.
Little remark, it is very difficult (for me) to import or export contact list from .vcf list to Thunderbird, I have to type every adresses manually. I do not found an easy way to import from WinLiveMail my list of contacts.
Thanks a lot again,
Best regards,
Philippe

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024