The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Install Parallel Tools on Mac

Hi,
I have Navigatrix installed in a virtual machine using Parallels on Mac OSX. I want to install Parallels tools but I get a permission denied error. The Parallels install message says use sudo ./install - which I do from a Terminal window opened from the 'CD' so the path is correct. Any ideas please?

Post subject: Re: Install Parallel Tools on Mac

You want to install this thing called Parallels to a Navigatrix system, but the command given by the instructions for doing this spit up with a permissions denial.

Walk out there and become the superuser you've wanted to be. cd to the right directory.
Code:
sudo -s
after entering a password will give the power to destroy.

Then run the install script by
Code:
./install
or
Code:
sh ./install
as required.

It may be your install script hasn't been made executable,
Code:
chmod +x ./install
Try to run it again.

When you're done, close the terminal, or enter 'exit' and then enter.

Post subject: Re: Install Parallel Tools on Mac

Thanks for the reply Mo. I thought I'd post the fix here for anyone looking to do similar to me.

Parallels is virtualisation software for the Mac, think VMWare etc. I use this so that I can run 'anything' in this case Navigatrix under a small Mac on my boat. Like all virtualisation software Parallels has it's own add ins that are required for it to perform normally.

In most OS's, Including Linux, one simply mounts the ISO that contains the additions and it runs. With Navigatrix I found that I needed to copy the files from the mounted ISO to the local file system. I could then execute the install script under SU -s rights.

hope this helps.

Malc

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024