The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: UEFI and 64 bit Navigatrix

We had a lot of old computers die on our boat lately. This forced me to buy new stuff and of course most of it came with Win8 preinstalled and UEFI. To install Navigatrix I always had to get rid of Windows altogether since Navigatrix 32 bit is not compatible with UEFI. I had to activate Legacy mode which of course left Windows unbootable.

While I see one of the main upsides of Linux in keeping old hardware alive, IMHO we cannot escape the fact that the world has moved on. We need a 64 bit version of Navigatrix to get the old dual boot functionality back for modern computers.

Volunteers anyone?

Cheers,
Christian

Post subject: Re: UEFI and 64 bit Navigatrix

Old (broken) computers never die, they just find their way to my place.

This will get you started....

http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild

We'll call it a race, and see who, among the few, can get there first.

We can then both wonder what "Transformation sub policy support" might mean; why we should care...or not, and if it should be added, or not.

I don't know.

(It's after the 64 bit question, amidst many...I've just peeked, but I'm old, slow and too many irons in the fire...and did I mention the lumbago? So you have a chance...or someone else.)

Yes, it's steep, but how do you know, unless you try.

What do you call two sailboats headed in the same general direction?

A Race!..., whether the other one knows it or not.

Moe wrote:
Old (broken) computers never die, they just find their way to my place.

Good on ya, but since we need the computers for navigation we need reliable ones. One with roughly a bucket of seawater in it is not worth repairing. Even if it will come to life again, it is only a matter of time before it will die for good.

Quote:
This will get you started....

http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild

We'll call it a race, and see who, among the few, can get there first.

Nice try. ;-) Unfortunately we suffered a knockdown lately and have quite some repairs on the boat. My wife would also kill me if I'd take on another FLOSS project besides Navigatrix Documentation and OpenSeaMap (which both are quite low on the priority list anyways because of the above).

Quote:
We can then both wonder what "Transformation sub policy support" might mean; why we should care...or not, and if it should be added, or not.

I don't know.

(It's after the 64 bit question, amidst many...I've just peeked, but I'm old, slow and too many irons in the fire...and did I mention the lumbago? So you have a chance...or someone else.)

Yes, it's steep, but how do you know, unless you try.

What do you call two sailboats headed in the same general direction?

A Race!..., whether the other one knows it or not.

Hm, if in doubt, leave it out. BTW, why not use a stock Ubuntu kernel? At least at first?

I gave up on the makeshift racing long ago. Our boat weights 11 tons and has a 10 meter Mast, so we always come in last :-).

All the best,
Christian

zenfunk wrote:
Hm, if in doubt, leave it out. BTW, why not use a stock Ubuntu kernel? At least at first?
See, you're a natural, and already have the advantage.

I run xconfig with extensive "help" and read every option presented, for example:
Quote:
CONFIG_IRQ_DOMAIN_DEBUG:

This option will show the mapping relationship between hardware irq
numbers and Linux irq numbers. The mapping is exposed via debugfs
in the file "irq_domain_mapping".

If you don't know what this means you don't need it.
...so I guess that means "no", and then move on to the next option, where it might say, If unsure, it is safe to select M (module). "M" it is, and then on to the next.

But it is actually easier than that. There's a command cp /boot/config-`uname -r`* .config that copies the configuration of the current kernel to the build, so it's brain dead simple.

Or, a stock kernel is fine if you don't have any special or quirky hardware or HAM radio needs. If you were building for one machine you could do what ever you want, even cut off all the extra bits for a lean, mean, fire spitting machine.

Remember "Moe's Law", Everything takes time, money, and monkeys. An increase in any one reduces the requirement for the other two. Maybe we can find another volunteer.

Good luck with your boat work.

We are two months (it will be at least 3) behind being seaworthy for a 120 mile jaunt up the coast to the boatyard to make the boat seaworthy, and when we do 'race' the other boat on the horizon on the way, we come in last because of our skill.

Hi,

You are right, the world has or is moving on, very soon pc will be dinasours... have you considered the world of tablets (ios or android) or even large smart phones? nowadays they only cost you a dinner out, you can get very good navigation apps and hundreds of other apps to keep u entertained, there are good waterproof cases for them, comes with gps or have more sensitive bluetooth gps, and can link with your nmea instruments thru wifi.

Maybe, we are becoming dinasours...

Ken

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024