The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: AIS - Help

Hi,

Just modded my radio and getting AIS info into ShipPlotter ok.

Not so with OpenCpn in Navigatrix. I get the following error - anyone care to help ?

marty@marty-laptop:~$ sudo gnuais -c /etc/gnuais.conf
2010/12/30 01:31:49.520076 gnuais[2945:3078702784] NOTICE: Starting up...
2010/12/30 01:31:49.520988 gnuais[2945:3078702784] INFO: Opened serial port /tmp/aisfifo for NMEA output
2010/12/30 01:31:49.521030 gnuais[2945:3078702784] ERR: Could not read serial port parameters on port /tmp/aisfifo: Invalid argument
2010/12/30 01:31:49.521052 gnuais[2945:3078702784] ERR: Could not configure serial port parameters on port /tmp/aisfifo: Invalid argument
2010/12/30 01:31:49.536441 gnuais[2945:3078702784] NOTICE: Started

I couldn't select aisfifo in opencpn ?

Is it a simple problem, does it have an equally simple solution ?

Regards

FirstSteps

Post subject: Re: AIS - Help
Site Admin

The errors you mention are supposed to be there and are normal.
But some of the default configuration is changed. That is why the ais port is not selected anymore inside opencpn. You may go to the tool box and enter /tmp/aisfifo manually into the ais data port field. Gnuais gets startet automatically whenever you run opencpn from the menu. You dont have to run it manually. Check your mixer settings too once opencpn is started. You may raise or lower the volume of the microfone input and check if you get a signal. To do so use Manta->Preferences->SoundMixer while running opencpn.

Did this solve your problem?

It looks like you're trying to start gnuais as you have to in other Linux distributions.

Therefore the simple solution is to not make it more difficult than it is.

In Navigatrix, to get AIS with a modified radio you plug it in to the mic and click on the OpenCPN icon. That's it.

There should be no need to go to the terminal and type in anything.

There should be no need to change any of the settings in OpenCPN unless you need to change them back.

Do more by doing less.

Thanks for your response. Still no joy however.
I know that there are 3 ships out in the bay as I can see them with Shipplotter.

Is there any way to see the ais raw data to make sure that I've got the volume set properly?

I've messed a bit with the mic, but it's like trying to hit the toilet bowl in the dark ;-)

Ok, I'm going to have to go back to square one.

You did a hard drive installation of Navigatrix? What version number? The earlier versions defaulted to right channel only. This has been corrected.

Do you remember what you have changed and how to put it back to the defaults?

If you cannot remember everything you changed it might be easier to re-install...at least that's my experience when I've fiddled and not taken notes.

It is very odd that in OpenCPN under Tools>AIS: AIS Data Port does not show /tmp/aisfifo by default. It just shouldn't have happened.

It just occurred to me how to figure this out.

from the terminal run:

ls -lisa /etc/skel/ > /home/$USER/Desktop/1AIS-diagnostic.txt

on your desktop will be the text file.

Attach it to your next post. This will be the first step in solving the problem.

Ok, diagnostic attached :)

Out of interest I did try a bare install off the USB stick, but no difference. I know that the output from the radio is working - there are 4 ships in the bay, one of which is doing 4 knots !

Ta

In the terminal input:

sudo gedit /etc/gnuais.conf

Line 31 should read

SoundChannels both

If it doesn't...change it.

That should get you started in the right direction. I've got to run around the rest of the day hunting for parts in a town I don't know in a language I butcher, but thought you might want to get started before I return tomorrow.

Site Admin

Make sure you have the right mixer settings too...
Just copy and paste the following lines into the terminal while OpenCPN is running. To get to the terminal press ctrl+alt+t and then enter:

amixer set 'Mic' 100% mute
amixer set 'Mic Boost' 0
amixer set 'Front Mic' 100% mute
amixer set 'Front Mic Boost' 0
amixer -c 0 -- sset Capture,0 cvolume 100% cap
amixer -c 0 -- sset Digital,0 cvolume 100% cap
amixer -c 0 -- sset 'Input Source',0 'Mic'
amixer set 'Master' 100

Btw. what version of navigatrix are you using? The version number appears when you boot up in the beginning. And what kind of computer do you use?

Can you also send the output of the following command:

amixer >~/Desktop/amixer.txt

It will appear on the Desktop. And the last question for now: Do you have one sound card or several sound cards inside your computer? If you have several sound cards, try to use the other one.

Version 0.324
Sound channels are on both - the AIS audio comes through on both channels anyway

Interesting. There's no front mic, so I get 'not found', but I also get:

xxxxx@xxxxx-laptop:~$ amixer -c 0 -- sset 'Input Source',0 'Mic'
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Input Source',0

It's a Sony Vaio TX37

Cheers :)

Attachments:
amixer.txt [2.41 KiB]
Downloaded 308 times

FirstSteps wrote:
<snip>
It's a Sony Vaio TX37

Cursed Sony Vaio! Slick machine but gave me fits trying to change the operating system to anything and still preserve the use of the old operating system. The one I worked on with Windows 7 took a special way to created a dual boot computer. I found the instructions on the net.

But for you...try this:

* Add and Install new electrons. They store all those electrons in a little box called a Repository....apparently.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-2.6.32-26-generic

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-26-generic

* Reboot the machine

* By default the volumes will be low; use the mixer settings David gave you. You can cut'n'paste the whole slug at once into an open terminal. That part works like a charm.

The part I'm suggesting is just a wild flail in the dark...but give it shot. That's my motto: If it's screwed up and you don't know why...toss some software at it.

sony audio navigatrix Fix Navigatrix AIS Problem in Sony Vaio, feeble attempt number 1.

"sony audio navigatrix Fix Navigatrix AIS Problem in Sony Vaio, feeble attempt number 1"

Thank you very much :)
Now tell me - what did you do ?

FS

Site Admin

your amixer.txt shows that capture 1 and 2 is not on 100%. change them together with capture 0 to 100%. you may use the following commands:

amixer -c 0 -- sset Capture,0 cvolume 100% cap
amixer -c 0 -- sset Capture,1 cvolume 100% cap
amixer -c 0 -- sset Capture,2 cvolume 100% cap

success... does this mean it works now?

All working now, but for the first time in a lot of years I blindly typed in anything that anyone would suggest.

I can see the ships on the laptop - the next stage is to see if I can upload that via the serial port to the raymarine network ;-)

Thanks for your help gents

Marty

FirstSteps wrote:
All working now, but for the first time in a lot of years I blindly typed in anything that anyone would suggest.

I can see the ships on the laptop - the next stage is to see if I can upload that via the serial port to the raymarine network ;-)

Thanks for your help gents

Marty

Some people were talking about your project last night. They were wondering if you've made any progress.

Apparently they come up with two different ideas but don't want to embarrass themselves by presenting something that may not work if you already had something working.

if you have been without success I'll prod them for more details.

With the AIS, I was looking at sending the information back via the serial port. But that's now 3 steps away !

I've just replaced my classic raymarine chartplotter with a reasonably classic C80. Had to as the old radar was stuffed.

So, where as before I could do anything, now i'm once again battling raymarine protocols.

Via the NMEA I have position and wind ONLY.

And I can't upload routes / waypoints

Just trying to articulate this question.

Marty

First Steps

I have a similar problem. I am receiving through channel 2 but I can not see ships in OpenCpn.

I write sudo gedit /etc/gnuais.conf and returns Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

could you help me???

Help me out a little here....describe your situation. I don't understand what you mean by "Channel 2" and I don't understand "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display"

Is you AIS info coming from a modified VHF radio?

What are you trying to do with gnuais.conf?

Can you post the entiire terminal output.....command to spit-up?

I should have a stable (but slow) internet connection for the next few days so maybe we can get this sorted out.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024