The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Trouble downloading iso

I'm having considerable trouble downloading the ISO ... doesn't matter if it is from the American or European site ... at about 25% download I get a network error and it aborts the download.

Any ideas? Or is there an alternate mirror site that will work better?

Martin

Post subject: Re: Trouble downloading iso

I'm a big fan of DownThenAll!, a download manager/"accelerator" addon for Firefox and the Mozilla family.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/

I started using it when I ran 20 meters of telephone cord out the cabin and across the dock for a crummy dialup service on a lousy telephone connection. if the connection dropped; or too much noise in the line; or everything was too slow and I shut off the computer and went to bed...I could restart the download process where it stopped; dropped; or aborted. It can ever pause (or throttle) a download if the bandwith is momentarily needed elsewhere..say a Skype call. It has other useful functions as well. I'm pleased it is part of the Navigatrix distribution.

There are a whole slew of other download managers if you want to pick your own...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_download_managers

Out of curiosity I sometimes run traceroute (actually mtr) to see what's going on with my internet connection...particularly when I timeout on a server.

I use to think that Navigatrix was hosted on some cheap backwater flea bitten shared virtual server somewhere in California. As it turns out it's only partially true. Some of the time the problem was toward my end...other times it was somewhere along the trail.

Currently I have a good connection (which doesn't help you). While it's only 12 hops ( but nearly 13,000 nautical miles) to the navigatrix server it pings in at an average 224 milliseconds
Code:
--- navigatrix.net ping statistics ---
16 packets transmitted, 15 received, 6% packet loss, time 15012ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 221.367/224.041/247.686/6.349 ms
The 6% packet loss happens about 4 to 6 hops away; but I can still crank nearly 500KB/s for a download from the server...other times it's around 100K. When I was in the South Pacific I was lucky to get 10K much less maintain a connection. Obviously it's the links of the chain that make the chain.

Once you have Navigatrix you can run mtr navigatrix.net ...or mtr <any domain> to look at *what* is happening to your traffic.

Recently there was a sailor in Tonga apoplectic about the crappy internet cafe he was in. Outraged that he was actually paying money to connect to the internet and yet he couldn't get to his bank in the US....Blah blah this. Blah blah that. He, and everyone else could connect to nearly everything else...but not the bank; which is what he wanted to do.

I ran mtr somebigbankintheUS.com and told him there was 100% packet loss at a satellite uplink in Australia and conjectured the bank had no redundancy routing. The problem was outside the Kingdom of Tonga; outside the control of the internet cafe; outside his control.

He didn't believe me ("It's a multi-billion dollar bank!; blah, blah, blah") and stormed off to a restaurant that provides "free" internet connection (with the purchase of something and the pestering wait staff).

Two days later he was back...apparently no one in the South(west) Pacific could connect to this bank because there was a satellite connection down and the bank had no redundancy routing.

Try DownThemAll!...and see how it goes.

I used a download manager and managed to get down the full file, although it took 5 tries to get one that had the correct checksum. Unpacked and installed on the USB drive and I am up and running ... love it.

The race isn't always to the fast; but it's always to the one who persist...as frustrating as it can sometimes be.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024