The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Uncompression Error

I passed a copy of Navigatrix 0.4 to a my friend that is now sailing in the med.
All worked fine until yesterday. Starting the pc from the usb stick of Navigatrix this error message appear: "uncompression error".

There is a chance to make it work? (He can't reinstall it now)

Thanks

RUGGERO

Post subject: Re: Uncompression Error

It depends where the error is.

The system 'lives' in a compressed file system (squashfilesystem). It is unpacked and used 'on the fly'...or as it is needed. It's like having a life raft packed in a valise; but you can still access the 'medical kit' when you need it. When you no longer need it, it's packed in the valise with everything in place as if it had never been touched. It is ingenious.

It is 'read only' and should always be the same. Should be the same... Data change (or corruption) here is not a good thing.

Since it always remains the same, or should, there is no persistence...information cannot be added or updated (changed) that will carry over from one boot to the next. There are persistence files to allow this to happen.

If the data in these files is corrupted, or you just want to start over with a 'fresh' copy, these files can be rebuilt.

Within one second (and a second is a long time if you know it's coming)...within one second of the Blue splash screen appearing hit <esc> repeatedly until the screen turns black and stay black. In the upper left corner will appear

boot:

type in fix with <enter>. The compressed filesystem will rebuild the persistence files.

Data located in Desktop, Charts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Picture, and Video will remain, but the supporting configuration will be reset to the original.

This is his best shot at recovering from the error...if the error is not in the squashedfilessystem.

It's for this reason they added a checksum to the boot menu in 0.5. You just select the "just tell me if system on the stick is whole or screwed up in some fashion" ....the first step to solve most any problem. Well, so I'm told...if my information is correct.

Thanks for the reply.
Now the hard part is to pass the information to the boat in the med...

Thanks

RUGGERO

Someone heard and thought it a good idea

Navigatrix Support Via SSB/Satellite Email

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024