The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: New version wont boot on PIII

downloaded and installed version 0.5 on a 4 GB USB. It works fine on my THinkpad T60 but won't boot on 10 year old X31. How can I get version 0.4 since I want to use the smaller and lighter X31 on the boat?

Post subject: Re: New version wont boot on PIII

Dang- it was the USB stick. Tried a different one and it booted right up. Sorry.

OOps- no it was booting from the hard drive. THe new USB drive did not fix the problem. It stops with the Navigatrix splash screen and 5 dashes showing but no longer moving. How can I get it into verbose mode to see what is hanging it up? Since I have the older 0.411 version installed on teh hard drive and that boots OK from the hard drive, it seems the hardware is not the issue. Rather it is the new build?
TIA

Further info- If I select the help option and then the older graphics cards option, it goes into verbose mode which tells me it gets all the way to
"Starting tor daemon..." where it hangs up? Is that of any help?

I'll stab in the dark that your machine that won't boot is a non-pae machine; and that you download Navigatrix in July-August before the non-pae version was ready. Some older machines don't care. A few do.

If that is the case...the version you want is the one currently in the Download section.

Moe -Thanks for your input. Yes you are correct this IBM X31 has a non-PAE processor. Found that out installing puppy linux so that could be one issue. However I downloaded this on Monday (10/1) so it should be the correct version. Seems something else is the problem. It does boot on a 3 year old Toshiba netbook so download and usb stick are OK. Guess it is some other hardware issue. Thinkpads are durable but the proprietary hardware has been a problem. Puppy Linux can't use the stock WIFI card although other versions of linux are OK with it. Maybe it is the graphics card-although I tried the "older graphics card" boot option to no avail. Thanks for your suggestion. Guess I am out of luck using the X31 and the newer Navigatrix for my boat computer. Mike

I went looking for hints on problems with the X31 running Linux distributions. Most of the material is pre-2008. There is nothing really current on the internet to give me a clue what might be going on.

I'll keep this on a back burner for a while and maybe something will pop up.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024