The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Downloading iso

Why is the download so very slow?

I have Verizon FIOS, running at 100Mb/s and it takes hours to download from your site. I do not have this problem with other sites no matter the file size. My system is Ubuntu 12.04LTS with 4GB of memory, dual processors and cpu speed of 2.8GHz.

I have downloaded several time, but get md5 mismatchs every time. I have tried the server and Torrent, with the same results.

Perhaps I am doing something incorrect, but I can not understand what it could be, to cause this condition.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Monty Austin

Post subject: Re: Downloading iso

The server space is paid by donation.

Sometimes the shared virtual server is impacted by other traffic on the machine in some server farm in California.

Sometimes throughput is influenced by 'net topology', the route from one machine to the other. The last December time I ran series of download tests data rate was 5-7 MB/sec. One test was 11MB/sec average. I'm 20 hops away on the other side of the planet. Currently...it's not so hot
Attachment:
2- - 0-1 - 168.1 KB-s - DownThemAll!_007.png
2- - 0-1 - 168.1 KB-s - DownThemAll!_007.png [ 23.9 KiB | Viewed 17754 times ]

And a month ago, just to access the Forum I was timing out and dropping 50-80% of the ping packets somewhere on the west coast. It varies, not just here, for a number of reasons between one end of the line or the other; misconfiguration; corroded connection; hacker doing penetration/attack; or the NSA.

Most people don't deal with 2GB files and overlook the garble that pops through the blips and blobs of video, e.g., that can gloss over bits of mangle . For example, a stalled webpage that should have taken 0.23 seconds; took 10 seconds, with one image failing to completely load image. I doesn't happen every time but multiple by thousands.

A bad MD5 could be something inoperable....or a flipped bit that might not cause a problem. It's just to exact. An accurate MD5 just reduces the guess work in troubleshooting why something might not work.

A download manager, like DownThemAll helps. And there are methods to have a torrent re-download whacky chunks rather than the whole thing...again.

I know it's frustrating at times. It would be nice to have mirrors. It would also be nice to move off a virtual server. Both of which might fix some problems, but they might not fix your problem...which might be in Omaha.

We all do what we can with what we have as this is a community effort. Like most efforts: all it takes is: Time, Money, and Monkeys.

While I wrote this I ran a traceroute. The connection slows across the Pacific and drops some ping packets I think in Los Angeles with a third party carrier..
Attachment:
wadda_ mtr_navigatrix.net.png
wadda_ mtr_navigatrix.net.png [ 136.47 KiB | Viewed 17756 times ]
It's not really a benchtest for thoughput, but it can help find out why it's wonky.

For what it's worth regarding downloading a working iso, I could not get one to work properly until I used a Linux system to download the iso, and then used Linux to burn both a usb stick and dvd of the iso. After it's downloaded, just right click on the file in "downloads", and run the program(s) you want to either burn a disk or burn a usb. Everyone I created worked perfect using Linux!
I made the plunge and reinstalled Navigatrix on all my Toughbooks, and am NOT using the Windows system that came with them. I feel quite free right now. Linux is well worth the effort

Well, uncnd1, that gives me hope: I'm still plugging away but am presently at a bit of an unclimbable brick wall!! Tony

i found the torrent works reasonably quick at the moment.

Tony, as above, if you're still having problems I would try downloading it with a Linux system, NOT Windows.
I would furthermore be connected to LAN, NOT wireless modem. That being said, if you do not have Linux, try any distro, downloading it to your download folders. I used this one before switching to Navigatrix to get a bootable usb & CD/dvd disk to download, burn, work: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=113
It's a light version that works well. Then jog on over to this site: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
And make a bootable usb disk of the iso you previously downloaded. Install the above distro, and then use the Linux distro you've installed to download your Navigatrix iso. Then burn it with either a cd/dvd burner such as xfburn
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... se/xfburn/
Or make a bootable usb with "usb-creator-gtk"
It should already be installed onto the Linux distribution above, but if not, just go to Synaptic Manager and add it.
I know it seems like alot, but I've never been able to use Windows to get Navigatrix to work. Once I had a working copy in Linux, I quit using Windows and switched to Navigatrix. She's a beauty :!: Sorry for the ramble. If you still have problems, I'd be glad to send you a working dvd or usb that works.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024