The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: "Red Shift" Shifting time shifted

Hello, nx-gurus!

I am a big fun of the redshift feauture, but lately i am getting shafted by the wrong shifting-time-timing.
For example it does not let me choose the completly red screen at 2300 local time, but it shifts red at 10 in the morning.
I have UTC as my system time at the bios, and in the time and date settings i am in the correct time zone (Pacific-Tahiti).
I do not want to change my system time to local time, because it causes my zygrib forecast time stamps to be shifted....

Anybody experienced this problem before?
Thanks for any inputs!

Post subject: Re: "Red Shift" Shifting time shifted

Redshift knows the position of the sun because of your position on the planet.

It gets that from the latitude/longitude in /etc/nx.lat and /etc/nx.lon that came from a GPS plugged into the system for more than 15 minutes...could be less...of valid gps input.

You can hand edit these files.

You can plug in a GPS and wait 15 minutes after a fix...or

you can run:
Code:
sudo gpspos
if you can't wait another minute longer.

Now, now, because of your special situation (http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=3074), none of this may apply.

There are three "time" on a computer.
  • Hardware time
  • System Time
  • Clock Time

Plug in a gps and don't bother with clock time. The gps will keep it on time. The system time depends where ever you are. This needs to be changed manually when you move from time zone to time zone *only*. There is no reason to change the hardware time, the gps helps there.

Hello, Moe!

So how do I manually change system time? By running sudo gpspos?

Is it that simple?

Adrian

Eagle Ray> Preferences> Time Date...to change Time Zone, yeah, it's that easy.

(Actually, finding the right Time Zone can be a bit of a challenge. In middle off the ocean no one hear the screams of the crew as ship time is 3 time zones back and the sun hasn't caught up.)

The gps running for more than 15 minutes to set the time for the time zone the computer thinks it's in, and the same amount of time OR sudo gpspos...for example
Code:
moe@FissionChips:/home$ cat /etc/nx.lat
moe@FissionChips:/home$ sudo rm /etc/nx.lat
cat: /etc/nx.lat: No such file or directory
moe@FissionChips:/home$ sudo gpspos
The same goes for longitude. But if you're in the south Pacific and your machine thinks you're on Tulsa time without a gps corrected adjustment it will go wonky for applications that are time and time zone dependent. (I don't think redshift was one of them.)

Hello, Moe!

I did a sudo gedit on the etc/nx.lat and etc nx.lon.
I don`t know why it did not got automatically updated, sice the gps was connected during all the trip, and opencpn was working fine. Well. I will wait till the evening comes to see if this fixed my problem.
Thank you again, Moe!

Adrian

SVAttila wrote:
I don`t know why it did not got automatically updated, sice the gps was connected during all the trip...
Vlad the Impaler's visit might have something to do with it. I don't know.

Success!

Editing nx.lon and nx.lat solved my problem. Screen automatically shifts at sundown.

Thank you Moe!

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024