The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: OpenCPN forgot all my tracks

Hello, NX-ers!

Something bad happened... Accidentally turned off the power supply while opncpn was running, and exporting my tracks to xml.
When i restarted opencpn next time, all my previous tracks disappaered.
Opening the nx/opncpn folder i can see all my previos tracks in the navobj.xml.1 and navobj.xml.2 ...etc files, they are each around 17 MB, but my current navobj.xml file is empty (375) bytes. I tried to rename one of those xml.1 files to navobj.xml, but after restarting opencpn it deletes the content of the file...
What can i do? Is there any way of incorporating those xml.1 .2 etc files into a new navobj.xml file??
See screenshot.
Thank you so much!

Adrian

Attachments:
File comment: showing the content of my nx/opncpn folder
2014-06-19_120822_1360x768.png
2014-06-19_120822_1360x768.png [ 80.91 KiB | Viewed 15233 times ]

Post subject: Re: OpenCPN forgot all my tracks

From the OpenCPN website:
Quote:
If trouble strikes...

You have useful automatic rolling backups of navobj.xml, as described above.
Copy them somewhere safe before you run OpenCPN again, as they are automatically rolled over, and you lose the oldest one for each invocation of OpenCPN.
Rename the "best" one as navobj.xml, and the contents will be automatically used by OCPN.
The OpenCPN logfile also serves as a backup through the "LOGBOOK:" entries.
These can be used to reconstruct a GPX track. A windows utility for hat purpose ia available here: https://github.com/nohal/LogBookExtractor/downloads

Good luck.

The github application runs fine in Wine on a the Navigatrix system.

There might be something already suitable to tackle xml, or gpx (basically the same) files pre-installed, but I have looked at it well enough to say either way.

Success!

I deleted all navobj.xml files from the directory NX/opncpn, then renamed the best saved navobj.xml.4 file to navobj.xml, and copied it into the opncpn directory.
Now all my tracks are back :)
Thank you again, Moe!

Adrian

Attachments:
2014-06-19_201231_1360x768.png
2014-06-19_201231_1360x768.png [ 271.77 KiB | Viewed 15230 times ]

My pleasure, Adrian.

But it looks like some Vandal or Hun took a purple pen and scribbled on your screen;-)

Must have been them vandals! I heard bad things about them :)
Cheers, Moe!

Lucky you!

I had the same problem runing open Cpn on XP, CPn just froze and I was lucky enaugh to find somebody who was abel to get into the guts of Cpn where the tracks were stored. The he somehow managed to copy the tracks into a folder somewhere into the dephts of windows. I never managed to open them again.
Now my XP is so slow that I most likely will never open the folder again, if I find it in the first place. Then to find a way to get them back into Open Cpn is again another huge programming task to be performed. Than it will freeze again because the reason for freezing was there were to many tracks in the first place. Now, how on earth will it be possibel to work out tracks out of all this gibberish? No chance. Think we just have to live with it.
For us it is all the way from Spain to thee Marquesas. I should have photographed the screen, That would have worked.

Atmo

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024