The Navigatrix has been updated. The new website can be found at navigatrix.net.

Post subject: Firefox and Pcmanfm problems

A couple of minor annoyances I have not been able to rectify, so I thought I would swallow my pride and ask.

Firefox... Cannot change start/home page from default
browser.startup.homepage;http://navigatrix.net/nx0.5/

Change via edit>preferences>general on restart reverts to navigatrix.net/nx0.5/

Change via about:config>browser.startup.homepage on restart reverts to navigatrix.net/nx0.5/

Close Firefox, open /home/david/.mozilla/firefox/hw1yd9j5.default/pref.js and change user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://navigatrix.net/nx0.5/"); to user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://google.com"); On restart reverts t0 navigatrix.net/nx0.5

What did I miss???

Pcmanfm.... Unable to drag and drop directories from external drive to ~/
Not a huge problem as I can copy and paste (haven't tried via cp in the terminal) just a minor annoyance. Drag and drop works fine within the main drive.

Sugestions appreciated
TIA
David

Post subject: Re: Firefox and Pcmanfm problems

It drove me mad too.
Code:
sudo medit /usr/lib/firefox/mozilla.cfg
Comment out line #3 with a # The file should look like:
Code:
pref("startup.homepage_override_url", "");
pref("startup.homepage_welcome_url", "");
#pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://navigatrix.net/nx0.5/");
pref("extensions.maf.other.displaywelcomepage", false);
pref("browser.rights.3.shown", true);
pref("extensions.dta.version", "2.0.10");
Save and exit. Select your startup options through the Firefox browser Edit> Preferences> General

I don't understand what's going on when you Drag'n'Drop with the File Manager (PCManFM). But I think it's a permission 'thing' and cp will give you the same results.

I set up two PCManFM windows side by side and click and swish to my heart's content. If there is a permission/ownership problem I open the windows as Root drag the data over and then double check the permissions/ownership on the data in the new location...changing it if need be. Right click on a directory allows you to modify the permissions/ownership of all the files and sub-directories if you (that window) have the permission to do so.

Other just use "Midnight Commander" (mc or sudo mc in the terminal).

Can you describe the process you use so we can troubleshoot it?

Tks for the Firefox fix Moe... Knew there had to be another config file somewhere. Ironic side note, the script running at navigatrix.net/nx0.5/ that redirects to random Navigatrix user websites popped the website I poked together for the marina where I am currently berthed as its last act as the default startup page.

re: File manager... I kind of suspicion permission issues as well. I will take the time to do some specific testing to nail down the limits of the issue. Its an NTFS drive that had too much data to move while I reformated it to a linux type file format. Fortunately it is used primarily for archives and backups as well as large movie files and my music collections. Only noticed the problem when retrieving everyday files archived during the transition to Navagatrix from Fedora. As I said, since this doesn't appear to be a documented problem I suspect local issues. Will fool around and get back in a day or two.

Tks again for the help
David

Thank you, I was just going to ask how to fix this.

Current versions need to remove the line and not just comment it out., E.g.,
Quote:
pref("startup.homepage_override_url", "");
pref("startup.homepage_welcome_url", "");

pref("extensions.maf.other.displaywelcomepage", false);
pref("browser.rights.3.shown", true);
pref("extensions.dta.version", "2.0.10");
with, or without the gap, it makes no difference.

Search for:

Credits © 2010 - 2024